Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A healthy dose of honesty

A couple of days ago my son brought some old pictures up from a box in the basement. He is doing a photo essay for school and found an old picture of me. I looked at that picture and smiled. I loved the way I looked in that picture. I laughed and asked him if he knew who it was. He gave me a funny look and said, "Mom, that is you". I laughed again and said, "Quite a difference, huh?" Then he said to me, "You really don't look much different" That statement blew my mind.

I looked at the picture a little closer. I was a few years younger, I believe it was almost 10 years ago. It was taken by a friend of mine when she and I had gone on a Not-the-Momma vacation to the Florida keys. I looked much more closely at that picture. I realized that I was not all that much thinner then than I am now. My hair is slightly different, but no real major difference. Obviously I hadn't had any cosmetic surgery done then that I have since had reversed. Then it dawned on me.

In that picture, I was happy. I had taken some time away from an abusive and dying marriage. I had been getting some much needed sleep. I was visiting with a lot of Internet friends as well, who all were so happy to see me and who all thought I was pretty important. I suppose I was feeling very good about myself in that photo. That is the key.

2 comments:

Smalltown RN said...

Very well put. When people feel happy on the inside they seem to eminate this wonderful aura about them which makes them look happier, and sexier. I glad you saw that in yourself. And good on your son for saying you look the same. That is a huge compliment!!

Have a grand day!!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Great post!

I never get that feeling looking at old picts of myself.

It's a little creepy on my end. I wish I could give that guy in the picture some advice (like buying stock in Amazon.com or staying away from certain people)